Tuesday, December 18, 2012

THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE (1978) TV Guide Ad

I won't claim that Disney's 1978 kiddie comedy, The Cat From Outer Space, is one of my favorite 70s sci-fi flicks, because it really isn't. In truth, the last time I attempted to watch it - when my wife bought it on DVD about a decade ago - I fell asleep.

But, it is a nostalgic favorite of  many Star Kids and it's clearly the studio's reaction to the tremendous popularity of Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind - two more-or-less adult films that were hugely popular with kids and sold lots of toys - from the previous year, so it does fit in here at Space: 1970.

Here's a vintage TV Guide ad trumpeting its World Network Television Premiere on CBS.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the art work ads Chris, especially ones from television. It's amazing how you come up with this stuff. Among all my favorite 70's space films and tv shows and the years slightly ahead and behind I'm a big fan of the live action Disney films that usually contained either Ken Berry, Dean Jones, Fred MacMurray, Keenan Wynn and of course Kurt Russell. These films although usually directly filmed from the great and sometimes familiar studio lots managed to bring a wholesomeness and fun innocence that I deeply appreciate. Good or not so good I always find different parts of those films that I really enjoy. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a alluded to in my reply to your tweet about this post, The Cat from Outer Space was one of my favorite movies as a kid. But after watching it with my boys last year, I can't believe how I sat through it. Slow-paced, with minimal laughs and a finale that takes for-EVER to conclude. You can check out my full review here.

    FilmFather giveaway: Win a Blu-ray Combo Pack of The Dark Knight Rises or Magic Mike! Ends 12/19 - enter here
    Follow me on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of fond memories of this flick -- it was one of the first my parents allowed me (an only child) to go to all by myself while they went to have the tires rotated or something! -- and I think I may even have the novelization of it somewhere in my Archives. But 20 minutes or so of it I caught on TV recently really popped the bubble. Not even nostalgia was enough to hold my interest...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, it's not one of Disney's better flicks, but I still like it. I suppose it helps to be a cat lover, and the Abyssinians that played Jake were definitely cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite like it. my kids enjoy the cat.

    ReplyDelete