Friday, July 22, 2011

SPACE: 1999 (1976) Original Comic Art by John Byrne

Issue #3
Issue #4
Issue #5
Issue #6
Here's the original color artwork by comic book artist John Byrne for Issues #3 through #6 of Charlton Comics; Space: 1999 color series. (You can find a gallery of the printed versions HERE.)

I always thought that the then-rookie Byrne did a remarkable job capturing the likenesses of the cast and the distinctive sets and tech of the show. He was especially good with rendering the intricate details of the TV program's iconic spacecraft. I'm really glad I stumbled across these pieces. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I read somewhere Byrne colored all these pieces himself with Magic Marker. I love how those colors pop right off the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember owning issue #3 from the artwork. I just love your site, such a trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, so YOU'RE the one who got those? I remember seeing one of them (#5 or #6) auctioned off a couple of years ago or so.

    I always loved Byrne's artwork, too, and those covers are great on their own, regardless of the subject matter. (They're even more cool to me, since I'm a huge S99 fan!)

    CR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. I don't own the art. Just stumbled across the scans online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Simply awesome. I like a lot of Byrne's art, including some of his recent Trek stuff for IDW. I really want to track these Space: 1999 comics down and read them. He gets the characters, sets, and tech right, and even the uniforms and suits all look right, down to the crinkles of the zippers down the arms...impressive! Really looks like an episode.

    Thanks for the post!

    Gordon Long

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me, Byrne was the comic artist of the 1970s. Hands down, nobody else came close, although George Perez was okay in his own way. I still have all the Byrne issues of X-Men I anxiously bought off the racks back then.

    ReplyDelete