Thursday, September 2, 2010

Captain's bLog: 0902.10

A few bits of site news/thoughts:

• In July and August, Space: 1970's traffic doubled the previous monthly average and continues to rise. Wow.

• I've expanded the "Starblogs" blogroll over in the sidebar to include as many of the blogs that link to Space: 1970 as I've been able to find through my referrer logs. If you have a blog or site that has a permanent link to here, let me know, and I'll add it to the list. If you want to be on the list, well... add a link, and then let me know.

I'll be honest - I don't personally follow every blog on the list - since many (or most) of them are RPG blogs and I don't game anymore, I don't really have time to keep up with all of them - but the ones I have visited are pretty damned cool, and I both appreciate their support of Space: 1970 and recommend at least checking them out.

• Speaking of "appreciating the support," the Space: 1970 Facebook page is now up to about 150 "likes." Surprisingly, many of them are people I do not know.

• Much to my surprise and gratitude, a couple of folks have actually made PayPal donations (which I'm using to buy some DVDs for this site), and today I got an e-mail from a reader offering to send me copies of several movies that I've been looking for. Which brings me to this:

When I started this site, I had no idea that it would be so popular, nor that I would be posting to it as often as I have. As a consequence, not only am I burning through subjects considerably faster than I anticipated, my appetite for this 70s sci-fi stuff has actually increased.

To that end, I'm looking for DVD-Rs or good-quality VHS copies of Man From Atlantis, The Invisible Man (with David McCallum), Cliffhangers, Starship Invasions, Prisoners of the Lost Universe, Warlords of Atlantis, The Last Dinosaur, Damnation Alley, The Questor Tapes, and the three or four Logan's Run episodes I'm missing. Please don't send me links to online gray market dealers or overseas editions of these titles - but if anyone has these shows on disc or tape, maybe we can work out a trade. I will not trade for copies of DVDs that are commercially available, though - for those items I'll just have to keep saving pennies (although I would accept gifts, wink wink, nudge nudge).

• That's it for this round-up. Got to get back to work, including a couple long posts with screencaps for this blog.....

9 comments:

  1. Crap-- The Questor Tapes was on satellite within the last three months or so. Had I known, I would have made a copy for you. I didn't think to keep a copy. (Although I must say it was not nearly as good as I remember it being.)

    And, as I'm probably the owner of one of those RPG blogs you don't keep up with, allow me to say that it's enough that you're keeping up the torch for a lot of the TV shows and movies that were inspirational for a lot of us whose formative years were in the 1970's and early 1980's... not coincidentally the same time D&D and other RPG's were in their fullest flower.

    Although I still think Planet of the Apes would make an AWESOME licensed RPG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planet of the Apes WOULD make an awesome RPG campaign - and you've got *at least* four established timelines to set adventures in!

    I've got some POTA posts in the works; a "Favorite Episodes" article and a review of the animated series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put a link to your excellent blog on my french blog: http://forgottensilver.wordpress.com/ which also talks about space Opera from time to time. http://forgottensilver.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/cosmos-1999-le-detail-du-blu-ray-anglais/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you had a Fb page for Space1970. "Liked" it, already had another friend come along for the ride, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LAST DINOSAUR 1977 movie now that was a great Jarassic Park type story. As a boy in 1977, I liked the Thrust Polar Borer (similiar to Mole from Thunderbirds, Iron Mole from At The Earth's Core) and the great James Bond style "he was the last dinosaur" title song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christopher this SPACE:1970 blog site is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking to Super Galactic Dreadnought! Although I cover other topics, it was inspired by a 1970s sci-fi miniatures game called Starfleet Wars, which was probably inspired by some of the shows you cover on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a great blog here that really brings back the memories. Thanks for writing, and thanks for adding Super Galactic Dreadnought to your blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to a couple of Space: 1970 readers, I now have copies of THE FANTASTIC JOURNEY (complete series) and Gerry Anderson's THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW: INTO INFINITY. Look for reviews soon!

    ReplyDelete